Professor of political science
Director, Social Science Research Institute (Samforsk)
Deputy Director of the Centre of Excellence, Democracy – A Citizen Perspective (D:CE)
tel. 02-215 4586 (Åbo), 06-324 7154 (Vasa)
050-409 6 409 (mobile)
My main research interests are participatory democracy, deliberative democracy, political knowledge, political behavior, public opinion and elections. My current research projects include
1. Deliberation Within and Across Enclaves (2011-2015), funded by the Academy of Finland
2. Democracy: A Citizen Perspective (2006-2014, funded by Åbo Akademi Foundation)
Scientific conferences with a written presentation:
- International Political Science Association, IPSA, World Congress 1994 (Berlin),2006(Fukuoka), 2012 (Madrid)
- European Consortium for Political Research, ECPR, Joint Sessions of Workshops 2001(Grenoble), Joint Sessions of Workshops 2002 (Turin), Joint Sessions of Workshops 2004 (Uppsala), Joint Sessions of Workshops 2007 (Helsinki), General Conference 2003 (Marburg), General Conference 2005 (Budapest, panel chair), General Conference 2009 (Potsdam, panel chair), Joint Sessions of Workshops 2010 (Münster)
- American Political Science Association, APSA, Annual Meeting 2004 (Chicago), 2005(Washington DC), 2007 (Chicago), 2010 (Washington DC), 2011 (Seattle, panel chair)
- Canadian Political Science Association, CPSA, Annual Meeting 2008 (Vancouver).
- Nordic Political Science Association, NOPSA, tri-annual conference: 1996 (Helsinki),1999 (Uppsala, Workshop co-chair), 2002 (Aalborg), 2005 (Reykjavik, Workshop co-chair), 2011 (Vasa, Workshop co-chair).
- Finnish Political Science Association's annual meeting (Politiikan tutkimuksen päivät):1994 (Jyväskylä), 1997 (Helsinki), 1998 (Jyväskylä), 1999 (Turku, workshop co-chair), 2005 (Helsinki, workshop co-chair), Vasa 2007.